Working for Social Justice
Social justice activities provide tangible ways to live our Unitarian
Universalist principles – to affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity
of every person and promote justice, equity and compassion in human relations.
MANNA Food Collection
The food collection for MANNA is a year-long collection during our church year and is sponsored by Children’s Worship. Please bring non-perishable food in non-breakable containers. The bin is in the Fellowship Hall beside the library shelves.
The Social Justice Committee is the principal coordinating
committee for social justice activities at UUCR. We welcome your participation
in working for social justice on a task force, action group or for a regional
or local social justice organization. The Committee supports these activities
to provide opportunities for direct service, education, advocacy, witness and
community organizing. The Committee meets monthly on the first Tuesday of the
month at 7:30 pm. All are welcome. Contact:
- UUSC Guest At Your Table program – learn about international social justice issues and feed guest coins and money for UUSC programs – Thanksgiving
- Bring paper goods to church in October for Chase Men’s Shelter
- Prepare meals and deliver to Chase Men’s Shelter, other shelters
- Prepare and deliver breakfast and lunch to Community Based Shelter during one week in June
- Bring toys for children at Beacon House at Christmastime
- Bring mittens, hats and scarves for the Mitten Tree in December – donated to Beacon House and Community Ministries of Rockville
- Participate in Shelter Walk (1-3 miles) for the homeless in May
- Bring food items to Thanksgiving service for the All Soul’s food collection
- Contribute ideas for arts and crafts projects for children ages 5-10 to the Beacon House Task. Participate on one Saturday morning per month.
- Trick or Treat for UNICEF – conducted by the RE classes
- Participate in special social justice activities organized by individual religious education classes or by the Religious Education Committee – such as collecting Friendship "School" Kits for children in Iraq.
- Your idea here ______________
- Serve food at The Lord’s Table soup kitchen in Gaithersburg one afternoon per month
- Bring food donations at Thanksgiving to All Soul’s Unitarian Universalist Church and join other UU youth from the metropolitan area in making baskets of food to deliver to needy families
- Help to conduct arts and crafts projects at Beacon House on the fourth Saturday of the month during the school year
- Help the Beacon House Task Force conduct the annual Toy Collection in December
- Help with signups and donations for the annual Shelter Walk for the homeless in May
- Donate $10 to "Guest At Your Table" and become a Youth Member of UUSC
- Your idea here _____________
- Attend a task force or other social justice activity meeting to learn more.
- Participate in any of the many social justice activities publicized in Quest.
- Join one of the task forces or groups to help plan activities.
- Become a Board Member of UUs for Social Justice; UU Affordable Housing Corporation; Community Ministries of Rockville; Community Ministry of Montgomery County
- Attend the annual AIM "action" held in the spring at a church in Montgomery County. Montgomery County’s largest "pep rally". You will leave inspired!
- Join one of AIM’s study groups to help research an issue – affordable housing, education, transportation for seniors, pedestrian safety, etc.
- Attend AIM training to learn advocacy and lobbying skills.
- Donate your used clothing and household items (those you are not saving for the Bizarre Bizaar) to the Interfaith Clothing Center in Rockville and Gaithersburg – a program of Community Ministry of Montgomery County. Items are donated free to low income residents of Montgomery County.
- Help with Beacon House arts and crafts, tutoring or mentoring in NE Washington.
- Attend a meeting of Amnesty International.
- Prepare and serve dinner (along with others) to 30 residents of the Community Based Shelter for one day in June
- Designate your United Way or Combined Federal Campaign donation to Beacon House Community Ministry, Inc.; UU Affordable Housing Corp
- Make a loan to UU Affordable Housing Corp. to put your money to work for affordable housing
- Designate Beacon House Community Ministry, Shaed Elementary School, Dunbar Senior High School to receive your Giant Food Bonus Bucks for Safeway Club Card for Education.
- Buy UUSC Holiday cards in December
- Your idea here __________________